Friday, January 13, 2012

again, the distance learning course redesign crap

I can't get into my course site until Monday to see how they've redesigned it, and can't rework/revise my textbook until I see how badly my course is FUBARed.

I will admit that most of the distance learning teachers suck: they don't pay attention to their course material once they've set it up, don't pay attention to how their students are doing in the course work, don't pay attention to course site foul-ups, and don't answer emails from students. I don't really blame the distance learning department for taking over the courses to try to force more attention and contact from the crap teachers.

That said, collective punishment (i.e., punishing those of us who do a good job with the same treatment as those who do the crap jobs) never works. Distance learning can fuck off for trying it, and those creeps that sign up to teach but don't teach can fuck off for ruining it for those of us that tweak our course each semester to better serve the students, and answer emails within twelve hours (or less) of getting them.

I'm not sure it's worth the extra money they pay me.

Cross-posted to the anti-soma

2 comments:

Kate P said...

Oh yeah, I once begged to be switched into a different section of an online course because it pretty much was led by a TA who just threw everything up into Blackboard. Definitely some lousy teachers out there. I hope the redesign is for the better for you!

This week, I'd like following to FO:
*people who look at their phones while crossing a street. The point is to get across quickly and safely.
*the "nagging mom mode" my co-workers went into because I didn't call soon enough to tell them I was running late. Well, jeez, I couldn't get through because someone was tying up the phone. Which reminds me. . .
*Phone-hogs who abuse the office phone, especially for non-essential stuff like your paper wasn't in your driveway. And are loud as they stand next to your desk while you're trying to work.

Heroditus Huxley said...

Kate, I'm one of the good teachers. This redesign takes my control over my own course away from me, and I don't even get any input. I'd be less irritated if I did get input.

And amen to your FOs. And don't forget the copy-budget hogs that copy whole books because they won't put them on the class rental or purchase lists (we've got two of those).