Friday, April 29, 2011

DC Comics can fuck off.

Superman has always stood for truth, justice, and the American way, no matter where he went. The creators of the character and the comic were American and proud of it. They believed that the American way was the best way.

DC Comics obviously don't feel the same way. They're having Superman renounce his US citizenship. They're having him say he's tired of his actions being interpreted as US policy. Once upon a time, we had presidents who would have been willing to back his actions, and a country who would have been thrilled to export our concepts of justice and freedom for all.

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe it isn't DC comics that can fuck off. Maybe it's our current political class and politically active intelligencia that needs to fuck off. Maybe DC Comics is only reprehensible for bowing to the tastes of those groups, rather than the majority of their readers.

I don't know. I only know that DC has fucked up an icon of my childhood, and I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

5 comments:

ricki said...

I most heartily agree. I heard the story on the radio this morning and I was all, Wait, is it April First?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if in a couple years they quietly reinstate Supe's citizenship, after they realized how badly this move made sales tank.

Also: tornadoes can FTFO.

The Fifth String said...

Agree. HH. I only take notice that, if what I read about it is correct, he did so to protest the gummint's inaction on behalf of the Iranian opposition. Best comment so far, though, is from AllahPundit:

Isn’t the real travesty here the fact that Superman somehow ended up facing off nonviolently against Iranian fundamentalist goons?

Kate P said...

First they killed him, then they de-Americanized him. I have not understood comic book writing in a very long time.

Tornadoes totally can fuck off. Also, cancer can fuck off and die a thousand flaming deaths on a stick. My cat was diagnosed with lymphoma this week.

The Fifth String said...

Kate, so sad to hear. CCFOAD.

Kate P said...

Thanks, Ken. I am really nervous about all her medicines--I hope they help.