Friday, May 7, 2010

Ann Arbor's elementary principal can fuck off.

You don't close an achievement gap by taking black kids on a field trip that white kids don't get to go on.

He says, “The intent of our field trip was not to segregate or exclude students as has been reported, but rather to address the societal issues, roadblocks and challenges that our African American children will face as they pursue a successful academic education here in our community.”

Listen, fucktard: if you try to close the gap by making one set of kids dumber, your whole school falls behind. Like it or not, the culture that your black kids come from stigmatizes working hard and getting good grades as acting white. If you really want to close the achievement gap, work on that attitude first.

It's all yours.

4 comments:

ricki said...

Extra credit can FTFO.

As can faculty members who hand it out like candy at Hallowe'en, and condition the college students to expect it.

College students who slack for much of the semester, and then stop me as I am walking out of the door of the classroom ON THE VERY LAST DAY OF CLASS, and ask me, in the hushed urgent tone they'd use to ask a doctor if their loved one is going to live:

"Is there anything I can do to raise my grade?"

OH HELLS TO THE NO. YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE.

Seriously? You skip an exam and fail to hand in three of the five short papers, and then you come and ask me, "Hey, teach, are you willing to give up YET MORE of your time coming up with a busywork assignment for me so that I can keep my inflated self-esteem intact by not failing? And then take out more of your time to grade it when I undoubtedly hand it in late?"

As I said before: HELLS TO THE NO.

I'm done with classes; next week is exams. I am NOT sticking around in my office to wait for whiners, slackers, complainers, people going ZOMG HOW DID I GET A D.

In the immortal words of Eric Cartman: "Screw you guys, I'm goin' home."

thanks. I feel better now.

The Fifth String said...

Cripes. It's Friday already. Where does the time go?

And a hearty fuck off to the dullard in Morgan Hill who sent home kids for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo (who, by the way, were apparently outnumbered by Mexican flags).

JeffS said...

Cancer can fuck off and die. The husband of my niece, a very good husband, father, and all around guy, was just diagnosed with a serious form of it. The doctors are not saying how long he has, and things are not looking good.

FUCK.

Laura's Daughter said...

Coworker Boyfriend can please refrain from getting on his Man-period at work and PMSing all over me.


Thanks.