Friday, April 11, 2014

the dumbing down

On Wednesday, I wrote about the dumbing-down of an economics course.  Yesterday, as a faculty member, I got an email from the same twit in the econ department announcing a dumbing-down of the entire fucking degree.  They've just announced that they have a "new Bachelor of Science in Economics degree that we are beginning in the fall semester.  This is a 30 hour degree that does not require students to complete the Business core, but does require a second major or a minor."  
And yes, that is a direct quote from the email.  
In other words, a student can decide that that business degree is just too hard, but they've always wanted to go into finance, and by golly, it looks like now they can!!!  
I am so unbelievably angry about this that I can't even find the right words.  I don't comprehend why this is happening in the first place--aren't we, as a university, supposed to challenge the students to do as much as they possibly can do?  Aren't we supposed to refuse to cater to the little darlings that need to do more work than they're willing to do?
Why the fuck are we repudiating what we're supposed to be????

2 comments:

Kate P said...

Hey, that's how they're hiring school librarians now. You don't need a master's; in fact, it's best if your degree's in education and not library science. Just as long as you pass the certification exam you're good. UGH.

And I'll throw in a nice big FO to non-uniform days at school, too. Three days of other clothing and they think no other rules apply. The only reason I'm looking forward to Monday is they'll be back in uniform.

Heroditus Huxley said...

Yeah, I'm sure. I love libraries and book stores--or I used to, before the books stopped being organized by any system I'm familiar with.

Alphabetize?

What's that?