Friday, July 8, 2011

Just because I don't make much doesn't mean I'm willing to use government aid.

I cannot count how many times a well-meaning acquaintance (or nosy but well-meaning stranger) has suggested that, because my pay from the college is so niggardly (wouldn't even pay for child care for a part-time job), I need to apply for WIC. While yes, accepting food stamps and medicaid would take a lot of stress off our budget, we're getting by just fine.

Yesterday, we took the imp to a speech therapist for an assessment. The therapist suggested, since we have a high deductible insurance that might not cover the sessions anyway, that we use the state-funded, social-work-based, in home therapy for under threes.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. Because our insurance might not pay $300/month, you don't want to deal with us. In spite of the fact that we are eminently willing to pay cash to take care of our son. We do, after all, happily pay for their doctors' appointments out of pocket. We also pay out of pocket to feed, clothe, and shelter them--there's no difference between that and supplying any other need.

Where the FUCK do people FUCKING get OFF suggesting that we FUCKING BEG FOR FUCKING GOVERNMENT FUCKING AID??? I was FUCKING RAISED on fucking food stamps, fucking welfare, and fucking medicaid--and was fucking not fucking able to get as good of fucking medical care as individuals with insurance. I wasn't fucking able to go shopping for fucking food without fucking getting treated like a fucking pariah. Don't even talk about clothes--my husband bought me my first new pair of jeans--ever--while we were dating.

So no. I'm not willing to accept fucking government fucking "aid." It's always a hundred dollars short and three months late*.

*FEMA is only just now beginning to build a trailer park for those made homeless by the tornado a month ago. They've gone so far as to move heavy equipment to the lot where they're going to build it. Just one problem with this expression of generosity: almost all of the people made homeless a month ago are no longer homeless.

2 comments:

ricki said...

All of the people whining about the military budget, and how it "takes away" from other functions can FTFO. Because providing for defense is ACTUALLY one of the functions of government outlined in the Constitution - unlike a lot of the things people want to cut the military in order to fund.

Also, this news report that terrorists may be implanting bombs in their bodies. I don't care if it's true or not, because I know the feckin' TSA is going to use it as a way to have even MORE intrusive body scans at the airport.

Kate P said...

The other thing with govt. aid? He who pays the piper calls the tune. I don't want to be told where to go, whom to see, what to buy.

The ass-and-a-half who pulled out in front of me and then proceeded to crawl up the street while gabbing on his cell phone made my FO list today. (And yes, I actually did yell, "You just made my FO list, honey!")